Active hiking expedition
Active hiking expedition
During this 5 day Hiking expedition through the interior of Suriname, we take on Brownsberg, Ston Island and Isadou. The 520 meter high Brownsberg is located in the district Brokopondo and constitutes one of the banks of the Brokopondo Lake. Because of its rich biodiversity, Brownsberg is the most visited nature parks of the Surinamese interior. Stone Island is a peninsula in the Brokopondo Lake and features breathtaking views of the lake with its iconic treetops that protrude above the water surface. Ston Island is the ultimate destination for canoeing, swimming, fishing or relaxing on the beach. A boat trip on the lake in a motorized dugout canoe is also a popular activity.
The Isadou Nature Resort is situated in the Upper Suriname River near the famous Maroon village Jaw Jaw. This Resort is popular for its impressive rapids and sandy beaches but even more so for its contribution to sustainable tourism.
- Jungle hikes (rich biodiversity)
- Physical challenge during the adventurous jungle trails
- Animal Spotting (350 bird species, 8 monkey species, rabbits, sloths, tapirs, frogs etc.)
- Idyllic waterfalls
- Breathtaking views overlooking the mountain and lake
- Fishing in search of the biggest Peacock Bass (optional)
- Boat trips through water rapids
- Visiting Maroon villages: Gunsi and Aurora
- Exciting Cayman spotting Tour
- Impressive village walk
- Swimming in rapids
- Delicious Surinamese dishes
What makes this tour special
- Challenging hikes off the beaten track
- Diverse flora and fauna
- Perfect blend of experiences (action, nature and culture)
- A good option to stay among the local Maroon population
- Contribution to the development of the local Maroon population
- Good price/quality ratio
- Small groups
We depart by air-conditioned bus or SUV from Paramaribo to a village called Brownsweg. After one and a half hours driving we get off at Brownsweg, the starting point of our hiking expedition. From the foot of the Brownsberg we climb a 13 km long path to the 520 meter high peak. During the walk we can enjoy the jungle and there is also a chance that we spot different animals such as monkeys, birds and frogs. The plateau on the top of this mountain offers a breathtaking view of the Brokopondo Lake and is our base for one night. From here we go on jungle hikes to explore the area. The most interesting hike, are the ones through the forest to the idyllic waterfalls. The accommodation * and the restaurant are located on the plateau and are very rustic. No meals included
* Hammock Camp (including hammock, mosquito net and blanket); Shared bath & toilet
In the early morning you can enjoy the beautiful sunrise and hear the roar of the Howler monkeys. After breakfast, during which we will have prepared our lunch packages, we leave for an adventurous hike all the way down towards the lake. During the hike we will spot different animal species. After about 2 hours we come across the “Wittie creek” from where the trails are all flat and the landscape will change from rainforest to a gold mining area. We look for the quickest route to the starting point of our boat trip to Ston Island. During this boat trip (± 60 min) the boatswain skillfully maneuvers a path through the countless dead tree trunks that protrude high above the surface. Before the lake, this land was home to numerous Saramaccan villages. After we arrive at Ston Island and check in our lodge **, you have the afternoon to enjoy optional activities such as swimming, hiking, fishing and boat tours. Meals included: B & L
The accommodation* and restaurant are rustic. (dinner is available in the restaurant).
** Rustic wooden lodges with small rooms (including hammock, mosquito net and blanket); shared bath & toilet
After breakfast we get ready for the walk to the village of Brownsweg. In Brownsweg we get on the bus to Atjoni, the southernmost point in Suriname accessible by car. At Atjoni we get into a motorized dough out canoe to cruise deeper into the jungle arriving at the island called Isadou.
This tour to Isadou is unique because it is not only owned by local maroons, but its intent is to let the local maroons profit from the growth of tourism in this area. The way the complete staff is consigned from the cook to the guide by eager and enthusiastic maroons from nearby villages, will try their utmost best to please the guests. The charm of the authentic maroon culture can still be fully experienced during your visit to Isadou.
Immediately after arriving at Isadou you can check into your cabana (accommodation). Next, we are treated to a delicious hot lunch, after which we can take a dip and enjoy the fascinating water rapids. In the afternoon we take a village walk in the picturesque village Jaw Jaw. This village is one of the first Maroon villages that is being visited by tourists. Meals included: B, L & D
After dinner (included) optional tour: Animal Spotting on the island.
After breakfast we will visit the Maroon village Gunsi. The hospitable Maroon population is very proud of its culture and gladly introduces you to their ancient customs and traditions.
Starting from Gunsi we take a jungle trail that leads us to another Maroon village called Nieuw Aurora. Back at Isadou a delicious lunch will be served. After this there is the opportunity to swim or relax in a hammock. In the evening after dinner we go on an exciting nighttime boat excursion "The Caiman Spotting Tour”. Meals included: B, L & D
On the last day we get a last chance to take a dip in the river and after lunch we depart back to Paramaribo. Meals included: B & L
* the departure time depends on the pick-up address and therefore varies from place to place. Departure time shown are from Krasnapolsky Hotel (in the City Center) Please check your voucher or invoice for the exact departure time and departure location. A difference of 15 minutes is considered normal.
By booking this tour, you contribute to:
• Conserving the reserve, making it possible to carry out research
• Employment & tourism education for local communities
• Supporting the local economy by purchasing meals locally
• Direct contribution to the environmental management of the Brownsberg nature reserve
• Donations to the basic/elementary education at Abena Ston
• Maintenance of the soccer field at Abena Ston & JAW JAW
• Taking care of the logistics of educational and other donor resources
• Stimulate cultural preservation by supporting the cultural music and dance groups
- Hat or cap
- Good walking shoes
- Long pants and long sleeve shirt
- Extra batteries for camera
- Raincoat / poncho
- Mosquito Milk
- Pocket change SRD
Most tour operators (like Orange Travel) list their rates in Euro.
The most advantageous way to pay is cash or by bank* in Euro.
Followed by cash in SRD or U$D, then POS in SRD * and finally a credit card payment **.
* If there are any additional bank charges, these should be paid by the customer. If it turns out that not the full agreed amount is credited to our account, the difference should still be paid before participating or checking in.
** When using POS (our machine only excepts SRD) we will use the daily exchange rate of the cambio’s. As these sometimes differ significantly from the rate your- and our bank uses, you can come out worse between 10% and 30% (in this Orange Travel has no benefit, yet influence).
*** All credit card payments are processed in U$D and a bank fee is added. The fee for Visa and MasterCard is 5% (in this Orange Travel has no benefit, yet influence). This payment method requires you to show your passport.
ING Bank Nederland
Euro Account number: 6005013
Attention: ORANGE TRAVEL NV
Republic Bank Suriname N.V.
In name of: ORANGE TRAVEL NV
Bank of America
Account number 2290 3930 8017
Beneficiary Bank ID number 026009593 (for transfer of monies into your account from within the U.S.)
3048 SW 141 ST AVE
Miramar FL 33027-3950
Pay by credit card:
Accommodation details during Active Hiking Expedition
During the Active hiking expedition the overnight stays are done in different locations, the level of accommodation is as follows:
Brownsberg Nature Park: Very basic (in hammocks)(click here for accommodation description)
Stone Island lodge: Basic (in beds)(click here for accommodation description)
Isadou Island: Basic (in beds)(click here for accommodation description)
Picture of hammock accommodation at the Brownsberg Nature Park
Picture of one of the lodges at Stone Island Resort
Picture of Isadou Island